📍5 acre farm, backwell
In early 2018, we decided to develop these values further by fully embracing the principles of the ‘farm to fork’ movement.
We purchased five acres of land near Backwell, just to the south of Bristol, and set about establishing our very own farm which sits on a beautiful south facing slope, surrounded by mature trees and with views out across the Somerset countryside.
The name ‘Five Acre Farm’ was irresistible, emphasising the small holding approach that is central to the spirit of the farm.
In Jonathan Boundy – formerly our Café Bar Manager who had been enthusiastically growing his own vegetables for some years – we had the perfect person from our team to take on developing and running the farm.
We grow following organic principles to produce nourishing food in a way that protects soils and biodiversity.
📍5 acre farm shop, North St, Bristol
As well as our fruit & veg boxes sampling the very best seasonal produce from our farm, you can do your weekly shop from our range of:
- Dairy – local Bruton Dairy milk from the churn, delicious cheeses from local suppliers, butter and eggs as well as lots of non-dairy alternatives
- Pantry – flour, cereals, pulses, grains, pasta, tinned goods, preserves, oils, spices, condiments and local honey
- Fruit & Veg – always fresh and seasonal, we grow everything under the sun (literally) from tomatoes and peppers, to cucamelons, leafy greens and lots of varieties of mushroom! Pop in to the shop to see what’s on offer each week
- Drinks – tea, coffee, juices, soft drinks, craft beer, wine and spirits
- Bakery – delicious homemade cakes and savoury snacks from our farm kitchen on the deli counter, as well as loaves and pastries from Mark’s Bread
- Plants & gardening supplies – shop our range of house plants, seeds, gardening tools and peat free compost
- Toiletries & household essentials – sustainable toiletries including soap, shampoo and conditioner, toothbrushes and toothpaste, deodorant and skin-care. We also have a refill section of essential cleaning products, as well as a range of wooden cleaning tools
- Homewares & gifts – head to the shop to find the perfect gift, we have something for everyone with books, puzzles, ceramics, candles, chocolate, pampering products, reusable coffee cups, water bottles and lunch boxes, and we also sell cards! Why not pop your gifts in one of our tote bags too, to be used again and again!
Five Acre Farm Shop is open Monday-Saturday 9am-6pm, Sunday 9am-4pm, entrance on North Street or through Tobacco Factory Yard Bar.
📍5 ACRE FARM KITCHEN, NORTH ST.
We had a chat with Charles to discuss his food passions and his vision for Five Acre Farm, Tobacco Factory and Grain Barge…
“Having our own farm creates a completely different environment for planning menus. Everything we plant has different growing times, so we make our dishes based around what’s in season at the farm. We only get what’s growing at that moment, which on the one hand is limiting, but on the other means we need to be more creative with what we have. Having gone to the effort of growing our own, so we want to show it off to our customers!”
Jon Goodman has been the Head Grower at 5 Acre Farm since September 2021. He is responsible for organising the crop planning and working alongside the rest of the team to keep all our vegetables happy on their journey from seed to plate. He has worked in organic veg growing for over 10 years, including previously running his own market garden business. He really really likes growing and eating salads!
Annabel is fairly new to the farm – but not new to us! As well as volunteering at our farm in Backwell, you may recognise her from our shop on North St.
Annabel trained at a market garden in Bath last year, as well as visiting various market gardens around the South West where she learned loads about veg and soil.
Annabel grows the flowers here on the farm for pick your own and supplying the shop.
But their main mission is to create a more local and resilient food system for all, whilst improving biodiversity alongside the veg and caring for our precious soil.
Annabel’s favourite veg is Cavalo Nero kale as it can basically grow all year round, is full of nutrients and tastes so good fried in a little garlic and butter!
Assistant Grower + Flower Barn Co-Manager
Sarah has always had a strong love for growing food and eating it too.
She became interested in feeding as many as possible whilst WWOOFING on a farm in Portugal many many moons ago in 2018, and began to work in earnest as a grower from 2020 at Strode Valley Organics.
In 2022 Sarah did a traineeship in East Devon at a CSA / Veg Box Scheme and fell in love with BEETROOT…
‘They are so hardy, their colour just makes me very happy, and they are very versatile! My favourite thing to do with them is put them in a coleslaw with cabbage & carrots, with a little lime pickle on the side… I do have to say though, I love tomatoes too! My granddad taught me all the tips and tricks for keeping them happy so his voice always comes into my head when I’m sideshooting them & picking the delicious fruit!’
Sarah also works as a freelancer for a Sudanese news organisation – Radio Dabanga. They report on politics & human rights in Sudan. The editorial team are Sudanese, in exile in Amsterdam.
In my spare time Sarah loves watching movies, reading books, doing crosswords, and a good queer night out.
Jonathan started working at the farm after he discovered his passion for growing on his allotment. He sometimes works in the farm shop too, so if you see him there, do pick his brains for anything farm related. He has recently taken on more responsibility in the orchard (and is very excited about this). Those fruit trees that were planted five years ago are now coming into their own!
Farm Shop Manager
Mel is passionate about all things food, especially if it’s seasonal, local and sustainable or chocolate flavoured. Mel has worked across the local food industry, having worked for companies including Better Food and Bath Ales. Most recently she worked for herself as one half of Gopal’s Curry Shack.
Mel comes to us with a wealth of experience including an enthusiastic and amateur approach to growing your own at home. Mel is delighted to have the opportunity to work with the amazing produce that comes form the farm and our farm kitchen.