We’re hiring: Farm Stall Manager & Flower Grower
Five Acre Farm is a small mixed farm in Backwell, seven miles south of Bristol. We grow mixed vegetables, flowers, and mushrooms, raise plants for sale, keep laying hens and have eight bee hives, all without the use of artificial chemicals. We are part of Tobacco Factory Enterprises and primarily supply the group’s restaurants and shop, as well as our own on-farm stall. This spring we will be building a new, larger stall on the farm and extending the opening hours from weekend-only to seven days a week.
We’re looking for someone to join our small team to oversee this expansion and run the new stall. This includes taking a creative lead on layout and presentation, and staffing the stall at weekends, when it will be serving teas, coffees and cakes, alongside selling our produce.
The role also involves sourcing produce and keeping the stall stocked and tidy on weekdays, when it will be self-service only. In addition to our own produce (and weekend treats), the shop will sell a wide array of edible and ornamental plants, and some gardening supplies.
You’ll also take charge of our small flower-growing operation located right next to the stall. This will cover everything from planning and sowing to picking and bunching, with support provided if required. In addition to these core, self-managed duties, the successful candidate will also be assisting in the market garden when time allows. In this way, the role is a unique combination of ethical food retail and hands-on gardening work, and presents a great opportunity for someone to develop their growing skills and be involved with multiple aspects of a sustainable local food business.
Hours: 4 days (ideally 36 hours) per week, including 3 weekends each month.
- Running existing weekend farm stall
- Developing then managing new farm stall
- Serving customers at weekends, including tea & coffee
- Sourcing produce and plants for stall & shop, from both farm and elsewhere
- Maintaining sales records
- Sowing and growing flowers for customers to pick their own (plus some picking/bunching)
- Collecting eggs, watering seedlings and opening and closing polytunnels at weekends
- Helping the vegetable growers when time allows (e.g. harvesting, weeding, planting out)
- Retail experience with good presentation skills for shop displays
- A head for business and a creative approach to developing the stall’s customer base
- Some horticultural experience and an interest in growing
- Trained barista (training can be provided if no barista experience)
- Enthusiasm for local food networks and desire to engage with customers about the farm
- Full clean driving licence (to assist with deliveries when required)
- Reasonable level of physical fitness
To apply, send your cv and covering letter to: email@example.com
- Team benefit scheme across all of our venues
- Ethically and environmentally aware employer – We are part of the Sustainable Restaurant Association, a community of businesses working towards an environmentally restorative and socially progressive UK hospitality sector.
- Access to Hospitality Action’s Employee Assistance Programme for free, confidential help and advice when you are facing problems, difficulties or challenges relating to your home or working life.
- Regular performance appraisals
- A supportive, friendly team
Coming out of the pandemic we are working towards becoming a Real Living Wage employer. This is a major challenge in an industry in which so few are signed up to the Living Wage Foundation – however we believe it is the right thing to do and a big step towards professionalising our industry.
We’re committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.