New potato and asparagus salad with wild garlic butter
The recipe from our 5 Acre Farm kitchen this month features all of our ‘hungry gap’ super hero ingredients – a real taste of Spring!
Bonus points for foraging the wild garlic yourself…
- 300g Jersey Royal or other new potatoes
- handful Flaked almonds
- 75g softened butter
- small handful wild garlic leaves, very finely chopped (or 1 crushed garlic clove)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 250g frozen peas
- drizzle of olive oil, for frying
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- bunch of asparagus spears
- 50g salad leaves of your choice
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 8-10 mins or until tender. Drain.
- Toast the flaked almonds in a dry frying pan until golden. Set aside.
- Mix together the butter, wild garlic leaves and mint (you can blitz in a food processor, if you like). Set aside.
- Cover the peas with boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded saucepan over a medium heat. Add the asparagus spears and a good pinch of sea salt and shake to coat in the oil.
- Put the lid on and cook the asparagus over a low to medium heat, shaking the pan to move the spears around, about 4 mins. Remove the spears from the pan and run under cold water (or better still plunge into iced water)
- Melt the garlic butter in the pan used to cook the asparagus and squeeze in the juice of the lemon. Stir the potatoes, asparagus and peas into the butter until warm.
- Tip everything onto a serving dish lined with the spring salad leaves and grate over some lemon zest. Top with the toasted almonds.
And there you have it! The very best flavours of this season, straight from our farm – to your kitchen.
If you’d like to get hold of what we’re growing, head over to our web shop where you can order everything from a bag of crisp fresh salad leaves, to a bumper box full of seasonal fruit and vegetables.
Join the hive!
Get news, recipes and other good stuff from Five Acre Farm in your inbox.Sign me up!